Friday, May 29, 2009

I´m Here!

I am here in Costa Rica!
I´m having a hard time believing I´m finally here. Departure was not flawless. My Dad was a basket of nerves... but God is good... I got switched to aisle seats all the way here... and for the 2nd part of the trip, I didn´t have anyone in the center seat! It was... quite nice.

I was picked up at the airport and it was such a smooth drive here and to the house. San Jose is the capital. It is part of the Central Valley. So as we drove in from the airport, I could see mountains on either side speckled with lights. It´s something I haven´t seen since being in the Korean countryside.

San Jose is obviously a major tourist destination now. With the explosion in Costa Rica´s tourism industry, the city has a very familiar feel. Burger Kings, Nissan dealerships, Ramada Inns... for all intents and purposes, it had the look of a stretch of LA. But once we got into the residential neighborhoods... I felt like I was back in the Korea of my childhood. Some areas looking a bit ghetto-ish... but with a certain... charm? It was pretty cool. The guesthouse is nice. It´s got the feel of someone´s house... not a motel or b&b. I´m the only guy here so far, which means I have my own bed... and not a bunk.

Tomorrow morning is an early start. They are taking us whitewater rafting for the day. So I have to be ready by 6 am.

I´ll write again when I can! Buenos noches!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

have an awesome time in Costa Rica Dr. Lee =)
can't wait to see you when you return!

Anonymous said...

wear a belt. when you sleep.

-bm