Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Change Change Change

I have officially moved.
I hate moving.
This time was no exception.
I am a packrat by nature. I grew up moving every 1 to 2 years. As a result, I think I got really sentimental about things and always kind of wanted to keep a piece of things with me. So moving out of my apt in Richmond was a bit of a nightmare because of the sheer volume of stuff I have accumulated. I sold a lot of stuff. I threw away a lot of stuff. Yet, I still had... all... this... stuff.

Moving was exhausting. I had to stay up all night to get everything packed. If it weren't for Ryan and my parents, I don't know how I would have gotten it done.

Leaving Richmond was bittersweet. I wasn't a huge fan the first few years. But I really grew to love the town in a lot of ways. I loved the restaurant scene and the little things that make the town so unique. I'm sad about leaving some people. I'm sad about leaving my apt.

But I'm also very very glad to be home. I was afraid that I would come home feeling a bit stifled or uncomfortable. Instead, I found myself really happy to home. I'm excited about living in NoVa again. I've been in Richmond for 7 years which is the longest I've ever lived in one place. I return very different than when I left. I come back without any uncertainy anymore about my future... I come back with so many new brothers and sisters in Christ... I come back with a ton of life experience packed into the past 7 years. I am... tired... but incredibly happy.

So now... my parent's basement is packed wall to wall with stuff.

But I won't be able to really start tackling the mess quite yet... because tomorrow I leave for Costa Rica! I'm doing a 2 week Medical Spanish Immersion program. I start off in San Jose for 3 days. The program is taking me around and doing some sightseeing. Saturday, we'll go whitewater rafting. Sunday, I go off for my first week of immersion. My first location is on the Pacific Coast in a beach town called Playa Dominical. There is supposed to be amazing surfing and great wildlife. I am hoping to get a surfing lesson and doing some hiking and kayaking. I'll be staying in a cabana by the beach, which I am really really looking forward to. Each day will be a mix of spanish classes, medical exposures and adventure tours. The 2nd week, I go to La Fortuna which is located by the Arenal Volcano. I'll be staying with a host family which should be fantastic.

I've packed both my small canon sure shot and my gigantic sony alpha. I've got 4.0 GB cards for both. I hope to max them both out. Hahahaha.

This is my first trip out of the country in almost 10 years. Packing has been a bit of a challenge, because I am not checking any bags and will be spending some time on long bus rides in the country. I am really really tired and would love nothing more than to sleep for a few weeks. But I'm also really really excited.

When I get back, I'll have about a week off before orientation, and then July 1... I start my intern year at INOVA Fairfax Hospital. I doubt that I'll be able to update while in Costa Rica, but once I'm back, I'm hoping to get back to updating more often... especially as I chronicle my residency in Famly Medicine.

So... it's off to Costa Rica tomorrow. I'll be back in 2 weeks!

3 comments:

Amysout said...

Wow Kev. I seriously doubt me & what I've accumulated would fit in mom's basement ... neither would my 2 kids!! Ha! But it sounds like you are on the right track - especially if you're leaving tomorrow for Costa Rica! Send/post pix when you can - I hear it's gorgeous everywhere down there! Stay safe & do some awesome work - I know that you will!

Julia Messina said...

You will be missed Kevin! Congratulations on everything- a great match, graduation, and a great mentor to the classes below yours. Please stay in touch

Julia

Christie Norris said...

Have fun! Maybe we can catch up when I'm back there for the reunion!