Tuesday, December 12, 2006

An Update on Chass...

Chassity is still resting…

I was very fortunate to have the opportunity spend a lot of time with her this weekend.

Friday morning was really special for me. I sat with her so her Mother could go run some errands. She was asleep for most of it. But as I sat there reading Respiratory Physiology Notes, she kept opening her eyes to check if I was still there. Every 15 minutes or so I got up to stroke her head and touch her face…

As much as I enjoy talking… as much as I enjoy conversation… the thing that I cherish the most in this world… are the Quiet moments we share with people that we care about… when the way that people feel for one another… is just palpable… and unspoken…

Later on, when a bunch of her family started to arrive, I stepped out and got a chance to spend some time with another incredible kid with Neuroblastoma named Peter. Peter is really something else. He’s been fighting NB for what seems like 7 or 8 years now. He is extremely small, but has the intelligence, wit, and guile of a savvy 40 year old. He has often said that he wants to be a chef when he grows up, so we usually talk about cooking. Hearing this guy talk about recipes, you would think you were talking to an executive chef from the Culinary Institute of America. I discovered that he has a new passion… Saltwater Aquariums. He has a 90 gallon tank with a ton of beautiful saltwater fish. He’s basically got the entire cast of Finding Nemo in his tank. He showed me Video footage of his fish in action. Listening to that boy talk about fish… I was in complete awe… but still it breaks my heart to see such an incredible Young man with so much passion for living… have to fight this awful disease… Luckily… he was going home the day I saw him…

Saturday night with Chass was rough… I don’t want to go into a lot of detail… because it was pretty intense… but if this paints a picture, I was with her until about 1 a.m. and I was grateful to have been there, because I seemed to be able to calm her down…

As of now… she was given the option of going Home for the remainder of her time on this world of ours… And she has chosen to take that option. So tomorrow, she will be given the sirened limo service back home where a new hospital bed and freshly delivered oxygen tanks await her. Since she was unable to get her Make-A-Wish to DisneyWorld, Make-A-Wish instead is delivering a 50 inch TV, DVD Player, and Xbox with some games and DVD’s. I think her brother will be enjoying these things more than her… but you have to know Chass to understand how much happiness this will bring her…

I wish I could be with her... but I have things that need to get done. I have my Respiratory Exam on Friday... And I was excited to see that I got the latest possible time slot... so that I would have more time to study... God has truly blessed me with His grace through this... because he has lifted the heaviness of my heart and given me some clarity of thought... and I am able to sit in front of my books and actually read without my mind being a thousand miles away...

I want to thank all of you for your support… I would especially like to thank, Darshita… She has been there for me in a way that I can’t begin to find words for… I wish I could bring you into my heart for a split second so that you could truly see the gratitude I feel and the comfort you have given me. But please know that… Sara, Dapo, D.Bux, Tina, Char, Becky, HyeMi… I have appreciated your kindness and support through all of this as well… and I thank you…
Please keep Chassity and her Mom, Carrie in your prayers. They’ve been fighting a very long 3 year battle… I am hoping so much for this situation to find resolution for them…

Thank you,

KL

No comments: