Thursday, November 30, 2006

Have You Got the Stones?

From The Washington Post:

At a recent White House reception for freshman members of Congress, Virginia's newest senator tried to avoid President Bush. Democrat James Webb declined to stand in a presidential receiving line or to have his picture taken with the man he had often criticized on the stump this fall. But it wasn't long before Bush found him.

"How's your boy?" Bush asked, referring to Webb's son, a Marine serving in Iraq.

"I'd like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President," Webb responded, echoing a campaign theme.

"That's not what I asked you," Bush said. "How's your boy?"

"That's between me and my boy, Mr. President," Webb said coldly, ending the conversation on the State Floor of the East Wing of the White House.

You know... we could argue over whether or not this was an appropriate thing to do and whether or not one should be respectful of the office of the President regardless of who the person may be...

But it's politics... and I don't much care for politics... because in the end, I think it's a largely dishonorable profession...

But...

I have to say... Jim Webb's actions... impressed the hell out of me...

How often do we think or believe something, and yet not express what we truly think or believe? Granted, there are a MILLION reasons for NOT expressing what we truly think or believe. Most of the time, I'm glad people don't.

But when it comes to our convictions?

I would like to think that if I were in the same situation, I would do the same. Because I truly am disgusted with what's happening in Iraq. Not just for our troops, but for the Iraqi's themselves.

But if I were in a situation where I were to meet the President? Would I have the stones to say what I feel?

I hate politicians and their doublespeak and their spin. I hate when people try to talk around stuff.

But would I be able to confront them with this?

I think about this... not because I think I have a chance of meeting the President. But rather... how this applies to other aspects of our lives.

We talk about ethical issues and moral dilemmas and right and wrong in the world of Medicine all of the time... We pass judgement (whether we mean to or not) on other Physicians based on decisions or perceived lack of caring or choices that appear to be selfish. When we hear about a physician that makes a hasty decision based on the fact that they are trying to leave work on time... we cluck our tongues and shake our heads. We go into Oprah mode and bemoan the lack of caring doctors in the world. And we make a personal vow to NEVER make the same kinds of mistakes.

But there's a great line from Season 1 of The Wire... where Avon Barksdale a major Drug Lord is sitting with his Vegetative Dad who had been shot in the head many many years ago. And he says, "This is the Game. You always have to be on your toes. You can't never let up. You've got to be perfect all the time... But how're you gonna be perfect ALL THE TIME? How're you gonna never be slow.? How're you gonna never slip up?"

And there it is.

That's the fight.

For all of us.

During those times in the hospital, when you are trying to leave work ON time to get to your child's recital ON time, because you've missed the last 10... are you going to be able to stop yourself, take a deep breath, and say... "this last patient needs my full attention... even if it's just for a minute."

I wonder about this a lot in relation to my students. I teach High School boys in Sunday School. And we talk about a lot of complicated stuff. And we have really great, animated, (occasionally tangential) discussions about being Christian in a non-Christian environment. And ultimately, we always end up saying the right things. Because we KNOW, what the right thing to do is.

But what I worry about with them... and what I worry about with myself...

When faced with having to do the right thing... Have we got the stones?

I hope we do.

I really do.

No comments: